I attended a group discussion downtown last night. The topic was public education, and was hosted by the Sheldon Chumir Foundation. Public education from a principle perspective, not in terms of system. The conversation was focused by a list of questions, reproduced below.
1. What is public education for? Why do modern societies organize public education?
2. What does public education have to include, or look like, if it is to serve the public’s interest?
3. What does education which nurtures good citizenship look like?
4. To what degree does it make sense to divide children up along religious or other historical segmented lines, such as gender or race, for their public education?
5. What role do you see private or similar schools playing in the delivery of public education in this province?